According to several sources, the next instalment in the God of War series will take place in a Norse setting. The news first appeared on NerdLeaks – a site specialising in leaks about movies, TV shows, and video games. The site has now been taken down but critical details are available on gaming blogGematsu and popular game industry forum, NeoGAF. They are as follows:
- There is Kratos, with a beard.
- The setting is Norse mythology.
- Kratos will visit Alfheim, “Land Of The Fairies”, one of the Nine Worlds and home of the Light Elves (concepts show the Wall and the Temple Door).
- Kratos will be in one or more prison.
- Kratos has an axe, with which he can cut vines and create bridges/walkways.
- The surrounding environment could interact with the character (if Kratos brushes-up against the vines, they expel visible spores).
The rumours originated from industry insider Shinobi602 who tweeted “…to the halls of Valhalla. My boy. #GodofWar4.”
NerdLeaks digged around after seeing these tweets and discovered the portfolio of a concept artist who worked with Sony’s Santa Monica Studio to create concept art for an unannounced project, images of which can be found here.
Incidentally, Cory Balrog, the Game Director for God of War 2 is back at Sony Santa Monica as a Creative Director, working on an unannounced game. Chances are it won’t be long before we see a God of War 4 announcement soon. And if the spate of rumours are to be believed, it might just launch with the PS4K.
Would you play a God of War game set in Norse mythology instead of the usual Greek setting? Let us know in the comments.